Hi there. I am an independent consultant and project manager who works across strategy, user engagement and training of open Earth data. My work is in the intersection between data providers and users aiming to make large volumes of Earth data better accessible and used. For the past eight years, I have worked together with a range of leading companies and intergovernmental organisations in the geospatial and Earth Observation domain to drive data innovation and uptake.
You can find me on Twitter, GitHub and LinkedIn.
Independent Consultant - Strategy, User Engagement, Training
I help data organisations to increase the use of their data and data services by consulting different user communities and developing training on large volumes of Earth data.
Projects I have been working on recently:
- Increased the uptake of open model- and satellite-based data by developing over 100 educational Jupyter notebooks and training several thousands of Earth data users:
- Learning Tool for Python (LTPy) on atmospheric composition data
- Jupyterbook on Dust Aerosol Detection, Monitoring and Forecasting
- Jupyter notebook tutorials for the Copernicus Climate Change and Atmosphere Monitoring Services
- Jupyter notebooks of Machine Learning examples with Earth Obsevation data as part of the online course Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Earth Monitoring
Founded and scaled the innovation program on open-source developments, ECMWF Summer of Weather Code (ESoWC), from a pilot to an established annually recurring program by developing and successfully implementing a strategy and fostering strategic partnerships.
ERA5 in Google Earth Engine: Developed an open-source Python-based geospatial processing and ingestion pipeline, to make a subset of the Copernicus climate reanalysis ERA5 dataset available as part of Google Earth Engine’s public data catalog.
Co-authored the OGC Engineering report ‘Earth Observation Cloud Platform Concept Development Study Report’ and engaged with leading Earth Observation cloud and analytics platform providers to assess their readiness to migrate their data dissemination systems to cloud-based environments.
- Developed practical tutorials and How-To Guides for the Copernicus Climate Data Store Toolbox.
In 2022, I completed a PhD at the Faculty of Geography at University of Marburg on ‘Big Earth Data - Towards a better understanding of users and their training needs’.
Publications related to my dissertation:
- Wagemann, J., Fierli, F., Mantovani, S., Siemen, S., Seeger, B. & J. Bendix (2022): Five Guiding Principles to Make Jupyter Notebooks Fit For Earth Observation Data Education. Remote Sensing 14/14: 3359. doi: 10.3390/rs14143359
- Wagemann, J., Siemen, S., Seeger, B. & J. Bendix (2021): Users of open Big Earth data - An analysis of the current state. Computers and Geosciences 157: 104916. doi: 10.1016/j.cageo.2021.104916
- Wagemann, J., Siemen, S., Seeger, B. & J. Bendix (2021): A user perspective on future cloud-based services for Big Earth data. International Journal of Digital Earth 14/12: 1758-1774. doi:10.1080/17538947.2021.1982031
Leadership and Engagement
- Founder and co-director - Women+ in Geospatial network - A professional network to promote gender diversity in the geospatial industry and academia. Join us!
- Co-Founder - Glocal LifeLearn e.V. - A NGO that is supporting education initiatives worldwide, aiming to give disadvantaged children access to education.
- Stakeholder Committee Member of the Notebooks Now! initiative led by the American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Stakeholder Committee Member of the Open-Earth-Monitor project
- Selected as one of 25 Google Developer Experts worldwide for the Earth Engine technology
- Member of the Expert Advisory Group to re-evaluate the Group on Earth Observations System of Systems (GEOSS)
- Selected as one of 100 participants worldwide for Homeward Bound, a year-long leadership program for women in STEMM
- Featured as one of 31 ‘Champions of a Sustainable World’ as part of the book Women and GIS, Volume 3 published by ESRI Press
- Program track Co-Chair Posters for JupyterCon 2020
- Member of the Organising Committee for the New Space Workshop - Europe organised by the Open Geospatial Consortium
- Lead Organiser of the OpenDataHack @ECMWF